Newsroom

2019-03-13 Press Released Engadget

Insta360 Evo captures 180- and 360-degree content for VR headsets 

The second option is Holoframe, a clever glasses-free 3D solution using eye tracking, and it's co-developed by Samsung spin-off, Mopic. This requires an optional $29.99 transparent smartphone case with a lenticular filter on the back, and to use it, simply flip the case around so that it's covering the screen, and then toggle Holoframe playback in the app. For now, this case is only available for the iPhone X, XS, XS Max plus XR, with Samsung's Galaxy S8, S8+, S9, S9+ and Note 8 to be supported at a later date.

After an initial calibration, I was able to use Holoframe to view my 3D content on my iPhone XS Max, and the results were better than I expected -- think of it as a much sharper version of what you might have seen on the HTC Evo 3D and the LG Optimus 3D from 2011. There's still room for improvement, though, and Liu added that his team is already working on an update which will enable dynamic 3D effect -- it'll look as if you're peering through a window, especially if you tilt the phone around.

There's technically a third option, too, as the Insta360 Evo comes with a "3D Viewer," which is just a little foldable VR goggle attachment for any phone. This is obviously a quick and dirty way to play with the VR playback mode in the Evo's app, but alternatively, you can also pop your phone into a Cardboard-like enclosure just like in the good old days.